Kelly & Stone Architects works with discerning clients to create distinctive residential environments in breathtaking locations. Their work embodies a timeless aesthetic within a fresh, contemporary context. Each home speaks to the enduring craft of architecture, sustainable principles, and quality workmanship, while reflecting the lives and aspirations of its owners.
If you are passionate about creating great architecture in fresh, bold ways, adept at leading teams of talented creatives, and would thrive in the midst of beautiful surroundings, read on.
Kelly & Stone seeks experienced professionals who know how to work with collaborative teams on custom residential and resort projects — from kickoff to delivery, with significant opportunities for professional growth, development, and recognition.
You should be forward-thinking and energetic, exhibiting a commitment to excellence in architecture and interior design.
Kelly & Stone is always looking for great talent for their growing firm — people who bring energy and inspiration to their work. Learn more on their Careers page.
» Remote working options are available, too
Project Manager – Truckee CA » learn more
Project Manager – Steamboat Springs CO » learn more
Senior Designer: Interior Architecture/Design – Truckee CA » learn more
Architectural Designers (2+ yrs exp) – Steamboat Springs CO » PDF
Architectural Designers (3+ yrs exp) – Truckee CA » PDF
Interior Designers (3+ yrs exp) – Truckee CA » PDF
Does this describe you?
Kelly & Stone welcomes applicants who bring their energy and inspiration to the firm. You should be highly motivated, with a background in building design and technical execution, as well as experience leading diverse project teams.
You should be able to demonstrate relevant experience as:
- A collaborative, hands-on member of interdisciplinary teams, ready to roll up your sleeves to get things done as well as lead the way.
- An advocate for design and technical excellence, and a proponent of individual and team growth and development.
- A champion for sustainable design, resiliency, and the craft of construction.
- A motivated, self-directed person who thrives in a fast-paced and energetic environment.
Kelly & Stone provides a small-firm experience with a big-firm perspective. The founders play an active role in each and every project, and the studio culture thrives on collaboration and the open exchange of ideas.
They are fiercely committed to their work and their clients. When Kelly & Stone takes on a project, the client’s goals become their mission — whether they are creating a scenic retreat or a legacy property to be held by future generations.
It’s no mistake that their offices are located in two of the country’s most beautiful places. When the work is done and the clients are happy, there are few better places to be than Lake Tahoe and Steamboat Springs.
For more information on Kelly & Stone Architects, please visit their website.
- Professional degree in architecture or interior architecture (or equivalent). A master’s degree is preferred.
- A minimum of 2+ years of progressive experience in architecture or interior architecture.
- Architectural registration is preferred.
- LEED accreditation is significant.
- Experience with the design and delivery process for high-end custom residential and other types of wood-framed single- and multi-family housing, especially in coastal and mountain settings.
- Broad proficiency in design and computational software, including Revit, Grasshopper, and Rhino.
- Experience with BIM and interactive visualization (AR/VR).
- Verbal and visual presentation prowess to articulate the process, approach, and impact of your ideas.
- Fluency in English, both written and spoken.
- Current eligibility to work in the USA. Applicants who are not U.S. citizens must describe their status to work in the USA, including details regarding visa type and duration.
How to apply
Please submit the following materials via email:
- A dated letter of interest, briefly summarizing your background and experience, as well as your objectives in applying for this position. The cover letter or email should include your contact information, including email address.
- A clear, concise, and current resume with education and professional experience, as well as academic, civic, and professional activities related to design, digital design, technology, and leadership.
- Representative samples of your portfolio — no more than five projects — submitted in digital format. This should include the name of each project, your role on the project, and the firm for whom you worked.
- Additional information such as links to your website, online portfolio, blog, and LinkedIn profile, plus Instagram, Issuu, or other curated sites if applicable.
- Please do not submit your full portfolio, references, or letters of recommendation until requested.
- Please label each document to include your name and date.
- Any email attachments should be submitted as PDF, JPG, or PNG documents and will not be returned.
- The maximum size of your attachments should be 10MB.
No phone calls, please. We review submissions on a weekly basis and will contact those individuals with whom we would like to move forward.
Office Location: Steamboat Springs CO
Steamboat Springs is home to abundant year-round recreation, a historic downtown, a vibrant business sector, active arts and culture, unique special events, celebrated geothermal hot springs, outstanding educational opportunities, and an 80-year Olympian tradition. All with the free-flowing Yampa River running right through the heart of it all.
Today, residents are creating locally inspired art, sophisticated culinary experiences, historical theatre, and community gatherings to live and be well — holistically, spiritually, physically. All are welcome to explore, create, and join — making it a base camp for a big life.
Steamboat Springs is about 160 miles west of Denver International Airport (DIA), with most major airlines servicing DIA from both domestic and international locations.
Airport transfers are available to/from the Yampa Valley Regional Airport (Steamboat/Hayden HDN), located just 22 miles from Steamboat. Airport shuttle service, taxis and limousine service, and rental cars are available.
The Amtrak California Zephyr has two daily stops in Denver. The westbound train (to Sacramento and the San Francisco Bay Area) arrives in the morning, and the eastbound train (to Chicago) calls in mid-afternoon.
If driving from Denver, the views are spectacular along the I-70 corridor and Rabbit Ears Pass, and it’s not uncommon for travelers to see wildlife, including elk, mountain goats, big horn sheep, eagles, and deer. From I-70, there are several picturesque routes that drivers can choose to get to the Yampa Valley.
Office Location: Truckee CA
Since the mid-1800s, Truckee has served as a major gateway to the west — attracting pioneering spirits who built an authentic mountain town. On the border of California and Nevada, Lake Tahoe’s scenic mountain beauty is enhanced by the clean air, a sense of freedom, and access to nearly every winter or summer sport imaginable.
There’s also a hardworking entrepreneurial spirit and tech scene that is collaborative and connected, with unity in finding solutions for the challenges of today — believing in community and common good while leading fulfilling lives.
Truckee CA is about 15 miles northwest of Lake Tahoe and 40 miles west of Reno, with options to live in California or Nevada.
The Reno-Tahoe International Airport is 25 miles east of Truckee, with 100+ daily flights.
The Amtrak California Zephyr has two daily stops in Truckee and Denver. The westbound train (to Sacramento and the San Francisco Bay Area) arrives in the morning, and the eastbound train (to Chicago) calls in mid-afternoon.
Information, photographs, and graphics © Kelly & Stone Architects, 2021. All rights reserved.