Kelly & Stone Architects works with discerning clients to create distinct residential environments in breath-taking locations. Their work embodies a timeless aesthetic within a fresh, contemporary context. Each home speaks to the enduring craft of architecture, sustainable principles, and quality workmanship, while reflecting the lives and aspirations of its owners.
If you are passionate about creating great architecture in fresh, bold ways, adept at leading teams of talented creatives, and would thrive in the midst of beautiful surroundings, read on.
Kelly & Stone seeks an experienced professional who knows how to work with people, projects, and practice operations — from start-up and contracts to documentation and delivery; from studio management to leadership development.
The Director of Project Operations (OpsDir) is a new but critical role for this growing practice. Based in Truckee CA, the OpsDir will work across offices with the team in Steamboat Springs CO to manage projects, mentor colleagues, and maintain client relationships.
The OpsDir will enhance firm processes and systems as well as introduce new ideas and methods to improve workflow, design quality, and team cohesion.
Does this sound like you?
Kelly & Stone welcomes applicants who bring their energy and inspiration to the firm. You should be highly motivated, with a background in building design and technical execution, as well as experience leading diverse project teams.
As OpsDir, you will be able to demonstrate relevant experience as:
- A collaborative, hands-on leader, ready to roll up your sleeves to get things done as well as lead the way.
- An advocate for design and technical excellence, and a proponent of individual and team growth and development.
- A champion for sustainable design, resiliency, and the craft of construction.
- A motivated, self-directed leader of interdisciplinary teams in a fast-paced and energetic environment.
Kelly & Stone provides a small-firm experience with a big-firm perspective. The founders play an active role in each and every project, and the studio culture thrives on collaboration and the open exchange of ideas.
They are fiercely committed to their work and their clients. When Kelly & Stone takes on a project, the client’s goals become their mission — whether they are creating a scenic retreat or a legacy property to be held by future generations.
It’s no mistake that their offices are located in two of the country’s most beautiful places. When the work is done and the clients are happy, there are few better places to be than Lake Tahoe and Steamboat Springs.
For more information on Kelly & Stone Architects, please visit their website.
Why is this role important?
The principals recognize the importance of managing the growth of their practice through an infusion of leadership talent. The new OpsDir role will enable the founders Keith Kelly and Tim Stone to continue focusing on design leadership and building client relationships.
- You will work with principals and project teams to ensure the quality of the work, blurring the lines between design and technical excellence.
- You will be both a guide and a contributor, providing teams with insight and expertise, helping them bring ideas to life.
- You will lead the firm’s ongoing development of the latest design methods and tools, processes, and best practices.
- Professional degree in architecture (or equivalent).
- 8+ years of progressive experience in architecture, including at least 5 years of project and/or studio management.
- Architectural registration is preferred.
- LEED accreditation is significant.
- Experience with the design and delivery process for high-end custom residential and other types of wood-framed single- and multi-family housing, especially in coastal and mountain settings.
- Experience with practice management and project performance for internal teams and external consultants, including contracts, budgets, resource scheduling, deadlines, and profitability.
- Experience with talent management, including development and training.
- Broad proficiency in design and computational software, including Revit, Grasshopper, and Rhino.
- Experience with BIM and interactive visualization (AR/VR).
- Verbal and visual presentation prowess to articulate the process, approach, and impact of your ideas.
- Fluency in English, both written and spoken.
- Current eligibility to work in the USA. Applicants who are not U.S. citizens must describe their status to work in the USA, including details regarding visa type and duration.
How to apply
Please submit the following materials via email:
- A dated letter of interest, briefly summarizing your background and experience, as well as your objectives in applying for this position. The cover letter or email should include your contact information, including email address.
- A clear, concise, and current resume with education and professional experience, as well as academic, civic, and professional activities related to design, digital design, technology, and leadership.
- Representative samples of your portfolio — no more than five projects — submitted in digital format. This should include the name of each project, your role on the project, and the firm for whom you worked.
- Additional information such as links to your website, online portfolio, blog, and LinkedIn profile, plus Instagram, Issuu, or other curated sites if applicable.
- Please do not submit your full portfolio, references, or letters of recommendation until requested.
- Please label each document to include your name and date.
- Any email attachments should be submitted as PDF, JPG, or PNG documents and will not be returned.
- The maximum size of your attachments should be 10MB.
No phone calls, please. We review submissions on a weekly basis and will contact those individuals with whom we would like to move forward.
Truckee CA is about 15 miles northwest of Lake Tahoe and 40 miles west of Reno, with options to live in California or Nevada.
The Reno-Tahoe International Airport is 25 miles east of Truckee, with 100+ daily flights.
The Amtrak California Zephyr has two daily stops in Truckee. The westbound train (to Sacramento and the San Francisco Bay Area) arrives in the morning, and the eastbound train (to Denver and Chicago) calls in mid-afternoon.
Information, photographs, and graphics © Kelly & Stone Architects, 2021. All rights reserved.
Additional Career Opportunities
Kelly & Stone is always looking for great talent — people who bring their energy and inspiration to their firm. Learn more on our Careers page.
Director of Project Operations – Truckee CA