Kelly & Stone Architects works with discerning clients to create distinctive residential environments in breathtaking locations. Their work embodies a timeless aesthetic within a fresh, contemporary context. Each home speaks to the enduring craft of architecture, sustainable principles, and quality workmanship, while reflecting the lives and aspirations of its owners.
If you are passionate about creating great architecture in fresh, bold ways, adept at leading teams of talented creatives, and would thrive in the midst of beautiful surroundings, read on.
Kelly & Stone seeks an experienced project leader who knows how to work with people and projects — from contracts and kickoff to documentation and delivery.
The Project Manager (PM) role is significant within this growing practice. Based in Truckee CA*, the PM will be responsible for managing all aspects of projects to ensure project success, team engagement, and client satisfaction.
The PM will collaborate with principals, designers, and other PLs to enhance firm processes and systems as well as introduce new ideas and methods to improve workflow, design quality, and team cohesion.
* Remote working options are available, too.
Does this sound like you?
Kelly & Stone welcomes applicants who bring their energy and inspiration to the firm. You should be highly motivated, with a background in building design and technical execution, as well as experience leading diverse project teams.
As a Project Manager, you will be able to demonstrate relevant experience as:
- A collaborative, hands-on leader, ready to roll up your sleeves to get things done as well as lead the way.
- An advocate for design and technical excellence, and a proponent of individual and team growth and development.
- A champion for sustainable design, resiliency, and the craft of construction.
- A motivated, self-directed leader of interdisciplinary teams in a fast-paced and energetic environment.
Kelly & Stone provides a small-firm experience with a big-firm perspective. The founders play an active role in each and every project, and the studio culture thrives on collaboration and the open exchange of ideas.
They are fiercely committed to their work and their clients. When Kelly & Stone takes on a project, the client’s goals become their mission — whether they are creating a scenic retreat or a legacy property to be held by future generations.
It’s no mistake that their offices are located in two of the country’s most beautiful places. When the work is done and the clients are happy, there are few better places to be than Lake Tahoe and Steamboat Springs.
For more information on Kelly & Stone Architects, please visit their website.
Why is this role important?
The Project Manager will work directly with the founders Keith Kelly and Tim Stone to enable them to continue focusing on design leadership and building client relationships.
- You will coordinate multiple projects, including design, administrative, and technical efforts.
- You will work with principals and project teams to ensure the quality of the work, blurring the lines between design and technical excellence.
- You will manage client, consultant, and K&S team communications.
- You will be both a guide and a contributor, providing teams with insight and expertise, helping them bring ideas to life.
- You will mentor junior staff to encourage a high level of design and work ethic.
- You will lead the firm’s ongoing development of the latest design methods and tools, processes, and best practices.
- Professional degree in architecture (or equivalent). Master’s degree is preferred.
- 8+ years of progressive experience in architecture, including at least 5 years of project management.
- Architectural registration is preferred.
- LEED accreditation is significant.
- Experience with the design and delivery process for high-end custom residential and other types of wood-framed single- and multi-family housing, especially in coastal and mountain settings.
- Experience with project management and performance of internal teams and external consultants, including contracts, budgets, resource scheduling, deadlines, and profitability.
- Experience with talent management, including development and training.
- Broad proficiency in design and computational software, including Revit, Grasshopper, and Rhino.
- Experience with BIM and interactive visualization (AR/VR).
- Verbal and visual presentation prowess to articulate the process, approach, and impact of your ideas.
- Fluency in English, both written and spoken.
This position requires current eligibility to work in the USA. Applicants who are not U.S. citizens must describe their status to work in the USA, including details regarding visa type and duration.
How to apply
Please submit the following materials via email:
- A dated letter of interest, briefly summarizing your background and experience, as well as your objectives in applying for this position. The cover letter or email should include your contact information, including email address.
- A clear, concise, and current resume with education and professional experience, as well as academic, civic, and professional activities related to design, digital design, technology, and leadership.
- Representative samples of your portfolio — no more than five projects — submitted in digital format. This should include the name of each project, your role on the project, and the firm for whom you worked.
- Additional information such as links to your website, online portfolio, blog, and LinkedIn profile, plus Instagram, Issuu, or other curated sites if applicable.
- Please do not submit your full portfolio, references, or letters of recommendation until requested.
- Please label each document to include your name and date.
- Any email attachments should be submitted as PDF, JPG, or PNG documents and will not be returned.
- The maximum size of your attachments should be 10MB.
No phone calls, please. We review submissions on a weekly basis and will contact those individuals with whom we would like to move forward.
Office Location: Truckee CA
Since the mid-1800s, Truckee has served as a major gateway to the west — attracting pioneering spirits who built an authentic mountain town. On the border of California and Nevada, Lake Tahoe’s scenic mountain beauty is enhanced by the clean air, a sense of freedom, and access to nearly every winter or summer sport imaginable.
There’s also a hardworking entrepreneurial spirit and tech scene that is collaborative and connected, with unity in finding solutions for the challenges of today — believing in community and common good while leading fulfilling lives.
Truckee CA is about 15 miles northwest of Lake Tahoe and 40 miles west of Reno, with options to live in California or Nevada.
The Reno-Tahoe International Airport is 25 miles east of Truckee, with 100+ daily flights.
The Amtrak California Zephyr has two daily stops in Truckee and Denver. The westbound train (to Sacramento and the San Francisco Bay Area) arrives in the morning, and the eastbound train (to Chicago) calls in mid-afternoon.
Information, photographs, and graphics © Kelly & Stone Architects, 2021. All rights reserved.
Kelly & Stone Career Opportunities
Kelly & Stone is always looking for great talent — people who bring their energy and inspiration to their firm. Learn more on our Careers page.
Project Manager – Truckee CA » learn more
Project Manager – Steamboat Springs CO » learn more
Senior Designer: Interior Architecture/Design – Truckee CA » learn more
Architectural Designers (2+ yrs exp) – Steamboat Springs CO » PDF
Architectural Designers (3+ yrs exp) – Truckee CA » PDF
Interior Designers (3+ yrs exp) – Truckee CA » PDF