CO Architects is defining the next generation of design practice. Their evolving digital platform blurs the line between design and technology and pushes the boundaries of technical excellence — enabling novel design solutions that enhance their work and expand their sphere of influence within the industry.
Despite the pandemic and economic downturn, CO Architects continues to win new commissions with prestigious healthcare, higher education, and research institutions. In addition, this year the firm received more than 20 design awards, including a 2020 American Architecture Award from The Chicago Athenaeum for the University of Arizona’s new Health Sciences Innovation Building.
D3T » In Brief
CO Architects seeks a leader who will drive digital exploration and continuity throughout their practice ecosystem. The Director of Digital Design + Technology (D3T) is an opportunity to engage in a significant role within a technology-forward practice focused on design and technical excellence.
The D3T position demands a resourceful visionary, ready to roll up their sleeves to get things done as well as lead the way. The D3T will use both vision and individual/team contribution to solve diverse, complex challenges for the practice and their clients, creating greater cohesion between design and technical excellence.
Leading toward a digital future
“As a firm, we are fascinated by digital technology. We have always led the industry to explore as much data as we can relating to the technical complexity of architecture.”
— Scott Kelsey, Managing Principal, CO Architects
From the beginning, CO Architects has been dedicated to designing buildings that enrich people’s lives — places of lasting significance that appeal as fully to the spirit as to the intellect. Their extensive portfolio includes large and complex institutional, civic, academic, medical education, science and technology, and healthcare projects.
They have been recognized as pioneers of Autodesk Revit BIM software, and they are continuing to push the limits of digital design using CATIA. Having adopted a purpose-built approach to digital app development, their knowledge of BIM, VR/AR, digital fabrication, and design computation is distributed throughout the office and embedded in all project processes.
Why is this role important?
In the D3T role, you will identify new methods and tools to harness technology and improve design across the practice.
You will work with principals, key leaders, and project teams to ensure the continuing growth and success of the firm, including active participation in practice strategy, design evolution, and the development of information systems and digital resources.
- You will blur the lines between design and technology to push the boundaries of technical excellence.
- You will investigate, advise, and integrate emerging technologies, applications, and methods into all aspects of the practice.
- You will be both a guide and contributor, managing teams with diverse needs and perspectives, helping them bring ideas to life, and creating impactful and lasting architecture.
- You will lead the firm’s approach to the latest design methods, processes, and best practices — from prototyping new ways of solving old problems to improving current systems and tools.
Does this sound like you?
CO Architects seeks talented CO workers who bring new energy and inspiration to the firm. Successful candidates will be highly motivated, with a background in building design and engineering, as well as experience leading diverse project teams within the AEC environment.
An ideal candidate for the D3T role will be able to demonstrate relevant experience as:
- A critical thinker and problem-solver who sees patterns where others don’t and connects the dots among differing ideas and data points.
- A collaborative, hands-on leader who believes in the transformative power of technology and innovative thinking.
- A tested professional who is fluent in designing digital applications, services, and user experiences across the full project cycle — from ideation and design to documentation and construction.
- An advocate for design and technical excellence as well as fearless in sharing your ideas and the firm’s work to a variety of audiences.
- 8 to 15 years of progressive experience in digital design within (or consulting with) architecture firms. Fabrication experience is preferred.
- Experience with the design and delivery process for large, programmatically complex architectural projects.
- Broad proficiency in design and computational software, including Revit, Grasshopper, Rhino, CATIA.
- Experience leading a technology-savvy team including BIM experts, designers, and interactive visualization designers (AR/VR)
- Verbal and visual presentation prowess to articulate the process, approach, and impact of your ideas.
- Capability in managing digital app development teams, including external partners.
- Advocacy of your ideas and your firm’s work with internal and external audiences, including speaking engagements, hackathons, and industry events.
- Bachelor’s degree in architecture or engineering (or equivalent). Master’s degree is preferred.
- Fluency in English, both written and spoken.
- Current eligibility to work in the USA. Applicants who are not U.S. citizens must describe their status to work in the USA, including details regarding visa type and duration.
How to apply
Please submit the following materials via email
- A dated letter of interest, briefly summarizing your background and experience, as well as your objectives in applying for this position. The cover letter or email should include your contact information, including email address.
- A clear, concise, and current resume with education and professional experience, as well as academic, civic, and professional activities related to digital design, technology, and leadership.
- Representative samples of your portfolio — no more than five projects, please — submitted in digital format. This should include the name of each project, your role on the project, and the firm for whom you worked.
- Additional information, such as links to your website, online portfolio, blog, LinkedIn, Instagram, Issuu, or other curated sites if applicable.
- Please do not submit your full portfolio, references, or letters of recommendation until requested.
- Please label each document to include your name and date.
- Any email attachments should be submitted as PDF, JPG, or PNG documents and will not be returned.
- The maximum size of your attachments should be 10MB.
Information, photographs, and graphics © CO Architects, 2020. All rights reserved.